Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Self-Evaluation

            The idea of defining what a mother is simply came to me. My whole life I have helped my mother raise the foster kids that she took in. In a sense I feel like I've experienced what it is to be a good mother and know the love of a good mother. I realized that not everyone has a mother nor do they know a mothers love so I put it in my own words.
            I started my descriptive essay by stating the obvious fact that everyone desserves to have a mother and from there I just stated what I felt a real mother was. Defining a mother was the easy part but figuring out how to word it was a little more difficult. The best way I could think to explain it was by compairing a mother to something everyone can relate to such as, and alarm clock, a friend, a fairytale movie, etc. I also tried to express the diffrent perspectives of a mother through the stages of life. Of course when I got stuck and didn't know what to say I asked my younger and older sibling what they thought a mother was.
            If I had been given the descriptive essay assignment right a the begining of the year I think I would have been lost. I wouldn't know what to say or how to say it. At the begining of the semester I tried to over think the way I worded things and I tried to use big words and sound smarter than I am. Throughout the semester I've learned that the best writings I've done are the ones that have come from my heart and that I care the most about. It's not about the size of the words but about the feeing that's put into it.
           I'm more apprecitive of the writing process now knowing that not all writings have to be boring and factual but they can be more personal and touching. I think it's easier for me to write if I don't use a long process with a web and note cards. To be able to just write the first thing that popped into my head was a much better experience for me. It brought a lot more ideas to mind about what to write about next.
           I think my best piece of writing was my descriptie essay because I knew so much about my topic and I cared about the topic I chose to write about. Personally, I think I've grown a lot as a writer. Blogging daily helped a lot with my stress and I think I'm going to continue writing. It's an easy way for me to be open with people and say what I need to say. It's a healthy stress reliever that used to be a stressful process. This course as diffrent in the way that thereweren't any strict rules about what I had to write. For the most part it was free writing and I wasn't graded on what kind of topic i chose to write about but instead about how well I could keep it interesting.
          I can honestly say that before this class I didn't know that it mattered how an essay was started. Before I thought that every essay was boring and to add character and personality to it was wrong. I've learned that an essay can be factual and informative and a the same time have personality and character to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment